Monday, March 01, 2010

Worship With Abandon

I love worshipping Yeshua and I love worshipping Him at our church. Time and again as I lift my eyes, there are young people dancing in jubilation and I should say worshiping with abandon. Sometimes coming from a traditional background this can cause quite a stumbling block if I were to reason as to why are they doing this? Why are they not showing any reverence? etc ...those kind of Pharasietical (I just made that word up) questions. A question a judge/teacher who knows things about God like the order, the ritual, the proper way, etc in worshipping the Holy One should be OR  in short the right way.

I have to catch and remind myself that true worshippers will worship Him in spirit and in truth and true worshippers will worship Him in 'abandon' because of the intimacy they enjoy in Him. True worship shows revernece and holy fear along with intimacy and outwardly may or may not translate to a gentle pious posture always, sometimes  it may be leaping with all your might, shouting with all your strength, and dancing in joy to praise our savior and at times it may be the "Be Still" position of solitude or meditation. Worshiping God  is not only for a set time in the day or set time in the night, though it is good to have that, it is more than than just that. It is more than just the attitude or posture of the heart, it is the abandonment of our 'self', a complete surrender to His ways, His love and constant renewing of our mind for the transformation of heart as we grow each day in Him. I am not saying one needs to go out and renounce the world but as you begin to worship and love Him with all your heart and all your mind and all your strength you begin to do everything that is in the heart and mind of God to please Him. His ways become your ways and this way becomes the way you live and this is true worship.

King David was not a perfect man, but he had a surrendered heart, he made mistakes but we witness a man who renewed his mind for constrant transofrmation of his heart, so much so that God Himself calls David "a man after my own heart".

2nd Samuel Chapter 6 gives us the account of King David dressed in priest's linen ephod (basically the High Priest's undergarments) and dancing in great abandon before God. After David comes home to bless his family Michal his wife disdains him by saying "How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his maid servants as one of the foolsh ones shamlessly uncovers himself!" verse 21-22 says So David said to Michal,


"(AA)It was before the LORD, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the LORD. I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished."
.

Ha..what a response...I would rather celebrate before the God appear before man as a humilation but I will jubilate before God. I like the way "The Message" version of the Bible expresses in Acts 13:22 concerning the Lords testimony about King David:


20-22 "Up to the time of Samuel the prophet, God provided judges to lead them. But then they asked for a king, and God gave them Saul, son of Kish, out of the tribe of Benjamin. After Saul had ruled forty years, God removed him from office and put King David in his place, with this commendation: 'I've searched the land and found this David, son of Jesse. He's a man whose heart beats to my heart, a man who will do what I tell him."

Worshiping is a constant transformation of our heart, knowing His presence is in you and submitting to His Holy ways. Worshipping is living in Him and For Him and worshiping is what we are created for Worship Him like no one is watching but He will take notice of you... .. worship the Lord of Lords with abandon.

Blessings & Shalom,

Sam Kurien

No comments: