Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tether Your Heart & Tighten The Knot

Continuing my thoughts and lessons learnt deep within, I am trying to come to the point that resolving in your heart early on about the fundamental principles solidifies your core. People who are blessed and graced to have this laid early on as a strong foundation in their young age by parents or mentors have it easy (or easier) when the storms of life come. They know inherently that their lives are built on the solid rock. That's why a biblical world-view is important, though it may sound fanatical to the lay reader (and to even some Christians some times), the idea is much more bigger than that. It is in not just knowing or blindly believing in those ideas of faith, ideas of trusting Yeshua completely but it is so much more larger and deeper. It is about being intimately involved with Him, intimately involved with your creator. And like any relationship that grows over a period of time there are times of separation, times of loneliness, times of utmost joy, times of mountain-top moments and times of despair and not to forget the long seasons of waiting.

So in the "meantime" what do we do? I talked about 'response' in the last post, now its about 'RESOLVE'. The scriptures state "Jesus resolved in His heart and set out to Jerusalem". He was bent on saving the world, He was on the mission of rescue in giving the ultimate sacrifice of His life and that needed a strong "resolve". But we may argue terrorists blowing up planes also have a similar kinds of resolve, a similar kind of fanatical take of blind faith. But the answer lies in the question "Does that resolve account on the basis of the foundation of love?" Or "Does that resolve account in the motivation of love?". If so, then resolve is where you tether your heart and tighten the knot. Casting no shadow of doubt and to be marching onward to the battlefields of big wars that lay ahead. It will be foreign to many when I say that sometimes physical battles and wars in the natural can be an outcome or be motivated by love or about pursuing someone because of love; for example saving of an oppressed people being one among the many reasons. We know from the greatest generation of all the time the 101st Airborne division that fought the second world war ran out on the beaches of Normandy in the face of fire and death to stop the raging armies of Hitler from over-running earth. Abraham Lincoln's emancipation proclamation to end slavery turned into a long civil war that ensued for eight long years; and boy...the resolve Lincoln needed to bind his heart and take the risk of a country being divided to wage a war to free oppressed men.

Life is a War, and wars cannot be fought without strong resolve. So tether your heart and tighten the knot, be motivated and be centered by love and above all else FIGHT!. So when you make a decision to follow the Captain of the Hosts, the commander of the armies of Israel, tighten the knot and follow Him wherever He may lead.

The song "Shepherd of my soul" comes to mind, which says:


Shepherd of my soul I give you full control,
Wherever You may lead I will foll-ow.
I have made the choice to listen for Your vo-vo-ice,
Wherever You may lead I will go.

Be it in a quiet pasture or by a gentle stream,
The Shepherd of my soul is by my side.
Should I face a mighty mountain or a valley dark and deep,
The Shepherd of my soul will be my guide.

Shepherd of my soul Oh You have made me whole,
Where’er I hear You call how my tea-ars flow.
How I feel your love how I want to se-rve
I gladly give my heart to You O – Lord.

Be it in the flowing river or in the quiet night,
The Shepherd of my soul is by my side.
Should I face the stormy weather or the dangers of this world.
The Shepherd of my soul will be my guide.


Blessings & Shalom,

Sam Kurien

No comments: