Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Legacy

Today as I traveled to work, I was reading Charles Swindoll's "David", the first one among the Great Lives series. The last chapter talked about David ending his era and giving his final advice to his son, Solomon. This really blessed my heart today and that is what I want to share and record as it correlated with my morning prayers. So let me turn the clock to 45 mins before my travel.

Earlier in the morning, as I was praying and having my worship time. I was praying for my children (though we don't have children yet, my wife and I pray for them) and while doing this my thoughts wandered in thinking how right from conception and even before, God knows them. He has seen the unformed and the unseen, yet to be and yet to come. He has placed fathers and mothers to care for the lives He brings to life. He has placed them not only to be role models of living for Him, but also telling them about Himself. They are to impart the knowledge of the Holy One, and most importantly teach them to seek Him with all their being. As I randomly thought these things, I was telling myself that right from the time when my wife is pregnant I am going to tell the child about our Lord. Ok, enough of a peak into my thought trail....

Coming back to the topic of the book. Charles was talking about the legacy we leave behind for our children. David spoke to his son saying "As for you my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him; He will reject you forever." (1 Chronicles 28:9-10)

David very well knew through his life that the most important thing was to know God. So, Let me summarize his advice to his son, from which we can learn so much.

1. Know God
2. Serve Him with your whole heart (which effectively means Loving Him with your whole heart in all you do) and a willing mind
3. Seek Him and He will let you find Him

Swindoll goes into great details and captures all the points above beautifully. But what impressed me was what a great legacy David was leaving his son. Through his own experiences of strength, success, failures and weakness David had learnt to rely on God, knowing Him, serving Him and seeking Him with all His heart. This is what we as a families are placed on earth to do: to glorify and extol the name of our Savior, passing this great legacy to the next generation. I was indeed blessed in my spirit to pray for my children even before they come to be and lay strong foundation for them to know Him.


Blessings,

Know, Serve and Seek the Lord your God with all your heart.

No comments: