Sunday, January 15, 2017

Psalm 119 - Testimonies

Psalm 119 is testimony Psalm and one of my favorites! It has been a companion, a fountain source that has refreshed my soul from time to time. I am fascinated by the number of occasions the Psalmist mentions the word "testimony" or "testimonies" of the Lord. He purposefully centers his heart in remembering his personal history with God, His goodness and His mighty acts in his life. I think here
in this psalm lies a secret of a spirit filled life; the key in suspending our hearts in thankfulness and remembering the testimonies of the Lord. By tradition, in my personal journals, I have written some of my favorites verses from this treasure trove at least once a year.  If you by happenstance stumbled on this post, these verses recorded here hopefully become a blessing and things you will ponder upon in your own journey.

Psalm 119

18 Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
22 Take away from me scorn and judgment, for I have kept your testimonies.

24 Your testimonies are my delight they are my counselors 
27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works. 
31 I cling to your testimonies, O Lord let me not be put to shame.
32 I will run in the ways of your commands when you enlarge my heart!
36 Incline my heart to your testimonies and not to selfish gain. 
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things and give me life in your ways.
46 I will speak of your testimonies before kings and shall not be put to shame.
59 When I think of your ways, I turn my feet to your testimonies.
73 Your hands have made me and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
76 Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant. 
79 Let those who fear you turn to me that they may know your testimonies. 
80 May my heart be blameless in your statutes that I may not be put to shame. 
88 In your steadfast love give me a life that I may keep the testimonies of your mouth. 
95 The wicked lie in wait to destroy but I consider your testimonies
96 I have seen the limit of all perfection, but your commandments are exceedingly broad. 
99 I have more understanding that all my teachers for your testimonies are my meditation. 
103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth. 
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and light to my path. 
111 Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart.
116 Uphold me according to your promise that I may live and let me not be put to shame in my hope!
123 My eyes long for your salvation and for your fulfillment of your righteous promise. 
124 Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love and teach me your statutes. 
125  I am your servant; give me understanding that I may know your testimonies. 
129 Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them. 
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.
132 Turn to me and be gracious to me as is your way with those who love your name.
137 Righteous are you, O Lord and right are your rules. 
138 You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness
140 Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. 
144 Your testimonies are righteous forever give me understanding that I may live.
146 I call to you; save me that I may deserve your testimonies.
152 Long have I known from your testimonies that you have founded them forever.
157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, but I do not swerve from your testimonies. 
162 I rejoice in your word like the one who finds great spoil. 
165 Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble. 
167 My soul keeps your testimonies; I love them exceedingly.
168 I keep your precepts and testimonies for all my ways are before you. 


Blessings & Shalom,

Dr. Sam Kurien

No comments: